ZoneBOND® Thin-Wafer-Handling Technology
ZoneBOND® technology is the proven thin-wafer-handling solution designed to withstand CVD and PVD backside processing, then debond with the lowest stress possible. Our approach to temporary wafer handling combines our expertise in materials, process integration, and equipment with an understanding of how to determine and measure the balancing point between these three components.
The ZoneBOND® technology offers excellent total thickness variation (TTV) control across the device wafer, high-temperature stability, and debonding under low-stress conditions to preserve thin wafer integrity. Brewer Science provides materials, technical consulting, process development consulting, equipment development consulting, and process testing for thin-wafer-handling and TSV creation.
Advantages of Brewer Science® ZoneBOND® processing include:
- Higher yields at debonding.
- Low-stress thermal and mechanical debonding protects the fragile device wafer.
- Separation takes place between the adhesive and the carrier wafer, not the adhesive and device wafer.
- During separation, the device wafer is on film frame or other carrier, safely mounted on a vacuum chuck.
- Targeted to be much higher debonding throughput than competitive solutions.
- Higher throughput and lower cost of ownership.
The ZoneBOND® low-stress debonding process detaches the carrier wafer from the laminated device wafer at room temperature using very low mechanical force for the separation. The technology utilizes two different “zones” for controlled adhesion of the device wafer to the carrier wafer. The device wafer is truly adhered to the carrier wafer only in a small area along the outer edge of the carrier wafer, while the rest of the wafer remains unbonded but completely supported.
The debonding process includes three major steps:
- Edge Cut: Dissolution of the adhesive in the outer zone by penetration of solvent from the edges.
- Lamination: Attachment of the bonded wafer to a film frame or other carrier.
- Separation: Peeling of the carrier wafer, using dedicated equipment, from the device wafer that is supported on a specially designed vacuum chuck.
Materials: ZoneBOND® High-temperature-tolerant materials
Equipment: ZoneBOND® separation tool
One of the unique advantages of the ZoneBOND® process is that it can be used to bring about a simple "flip" of the thin wafer to access to the wafer's front side, which is the device side, for further processing or testing. The thin wafer is supported on a carrier through the entire flipping process. The following video clip provides a step-by-step description of the patent-pending wafer flipping process.